Monday 16 November 2015

The Infinite Jukebox | Day 8/100


You know that thing you get when you're listening to your favourite song and you think, 'Damn, I love this song so much, I wish it never had to end,' well the Infinite Jukebox is the answer to your I-need-more-than-repeat-button prayers.

When I said to a couple of friends that work in IT that I would love to discover some more fun and interesting websites - because there must be more to the Internet than Twitter and Facebook, right? - this was the first site they both suggested.

In a nutshell, the Infinite Jukebox lets you stream a song of your choice and it will find a way to continually loop it. It works by breaking songs down into beats, then matches up rhythm patterns in the song, so as it's playing it will jump and take different pathways to (hopefully) seamlessly move to different point in the song.

Once you've picked a track, the beats and paths are put into a visual diagram, so you can watch to see how it's all linked. Very clever and even more is explained about how it works on the site's FAQ's. There are controls too, so you can play a part in dictating the movement of the song, but I'm not sure I've played with it enough to appreciate what the benefit of these controls are.

As a music lover Infinite Jukebox totally appealed, so I sat picking songs and watching the tracks on my lunch break. It's pretty addictive.  

I tried a few of my fave tracks out on it. First up, Nirvana's Lithium. Love this song so much I even walked down the aisle to it. Works well, but you do kind of get caught in a 'Yeah, yeah, yeeeeaaaah, yeaaaah' Kurt loop.

Gnarls Barkley Crazy worked really well and I ended up listening that to a full nine minutes before it started to drive me a bit nuts. But it's a good example of how the app works.

For a challenge, I thought I'd stick in Korn's Twist. Yeah, it doesn't cut it. If you're able to listen to it for more than a minute and a half without wanting to punch the screen then you've done well. Infinite Jukebox manages to turn it into a little bit of torture as John Davis gets stuck on one bit. It's the same with Scatman John. Just don't do it to yourself.

Heaps of fun though and very mesmerising to watch. Play with the Infinite Jukebox here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and taking the time to respond and share your thoughts on my writing.

Your comment will be posted shortly.

Cheers, RoseC