Saturday 7 November 2015

100 Days of Interesting: the idea


I've been in a right slump lately. There are a few reasons for this, the main one being a continued bad case of post-wedding/post-holiday blues. Naff weather, long commutes, a heavy workload and the general week-to-week routine that consists of get up, go to work, come home, eat dinner, wash dishes, go to bed have also contributed.

I know, I know. That's just life and sometimes you can't avoid routine, but I think there is certainly more I could be doing to make the weekly grind a little less....structured. 

I suppose until recently I've been totally preoccupied with wedding planning. Or in the summer months it's easy to find fun things to do. Simply sitting in the park with a book for half an hour qualifies as having successfully done something that's a little bit interesting, a little bit different. And while me and the husband enjoy lots of interesting things at the weekends (dinners out, cinema, theatre, gigs, catching friends, visiting family), we sort of just settle that not much happens during the rest of the week. 

Thinking about all this the other night I concluded that I all too easily waste hours of my own time sitting in a funk doing very little, and decided I needed to do something about it. Something fun. Something achievable... 

So I am setting myself a challenge: 100 Days of Interesting.

The premise is simple. Each day I will do something a little bit different. Something out of routine. It could be as small as discovering a new website, snapping a photo of something that interests me or taking a different route to work. Or it could be something bigger like attending a free lecture, trying a new cooking recipe or visiting a different city. 

While I'm dedicated in getting all the mandatory daily routine stuff done, I should also be proving to myself that I can be just as proactive with my downtime. And who knows what new stuff I might discover along the way?

I'll be starting the challenge on Monday 9th November and finish it (funnily enough) a hundred days later on Tuesday 16th February 2016. I'll be blogging and tweeting (@RoseC_Leic) all the stuff I do, using the hashtag #100DaysOfInteresting. 

I can't promise everyone will find every little thing I do massively fascinating, but at least I'll be doing something.

Until Monday. 

RoseC   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and taking the time to respond and share your thoughts on my writing.

Your comment will be posted shortly.

Cheers, RoseC