Monday 4 January 2016

Estoy aprendiendo Espanol | 57/100

I'm learning Spanish. Or at least trying to. By my own admission, languages aren't really my strong point. I'm only three days in, so my vocabulary is still really limited. I even had to Google translate the title of this post - which reads 'I'm learning Spanish', in case you wondered - because I haven't learnt the words for 'I'm and 'learning' yet.

The motivation for trying to speak in Spanish is because the husband and I are off travelling to Central and South America next year. While he's already fluent in French and can get by in a restaurant with the little Spanish he's learnt, I'm totally new to it. At school I paid attention enough in French, just so I could be in a high enough set to drop that and learn German.

I know a *bit* of German. I got my C at GCSE, so can just about get by in a restaurant. We didn't do any Spanish and it wasn't really an option.

So far, in Spanish I know how to say 'the girl/boy' (la nina/el nino), 'I eat bread' (Yo comes pan) and 'You the man' (Tu el hombre...I think....I'm trying not to Google it). Doesn't sound much, but in three days I have become 2% fluent in Spanish. That's two percent more than I was a week ago.

Not sure how far I'll get doing just 10 minutes a day, but my aim is to get enough under my belt so that I can hold a basic conversation. And if I get lost/stranded anywhere that I'll at least be able to communicate on some basic level to get myself out of the pickle I find myself in. I'd also like to be able to know enough to order in a restaurant.

Doable? Here's hoping! Will keep you posted on progress. And for any of my friends that speak Spanish already, be warned. I may try some of my bad Spanish out on you in order to practise.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and taking the time to respond and share your thoughts on my writing.

Your comment will be posted shortly.

Cheers, RoseC