Saturday 16 January 2016

Cooking Dinner (a tale of great responsibility) | Day 69/100

My husband and I have an understanding: he cooks, I clean. This setup was established early on in our relationship and suits us both fine. He loves his food, so is more adventurous with cooking, whereas I'll happily claim a chicken breast stuffed with basil and some boiled veg as a superior culinary dish.

Yeah, I know I got an A* in GCSE food tech. Geez, stop going on about it, but that doesn't mean I'm hugely imaginative when it comes to food or completely trust my cooking skills 13 years down the line.

Despite my protests, the task of cooking dinner tonight fell to me. I'm not sure how this happened, but I've decided to suck it up, because sometimes in life you have to do things you don't enjoy. Luckily, I didn't need to prepare the menu. The husband knows well enough that would be a step too far and he's not willing to gamble the enjoyment of his dinner by letting me Google around to find an appropriate dish, looking up ever more complicated gourmet style recipes - because I want to serve my husband man only the best - and settle on something fancy sounding like steak tartare with a par boiled egg, served on fresh asparagus with a cream truffle sauce (or something), only for me to give him raw meat poisoning, salmonella, pick frozen peas because Sainsbury's local were out of asparagus and then burn the sauce.

He picked a fool proof dish that he "whips up" when we're in a hurry or need to cater for a lot of people. It would be impossible for me to fudge it up. I don't think the dish really has a name. We just call it Chorizo and Lentils...because that's what's in it. Not exactly imaginative. Sometimes we stick the word 'stew' on the end of it, just so we can classify it.

Much to my surprise, the husband was right. I didn't stuff it up. And even managed to not burn the toast that I put under the grill while flitting between chopping parsley and stirring the chorizo and lentils. TONIGHT I OWNED THAT KITCHEN! I even got an encouraging, "this tastes really good," even though I know it tastes pretty much exactly the same as when he cooks it, but hey. It's a compliment for my cooking, so I'll take it.

But how is this foolproof dish created, I hear you cry. Well, don't tell him I'm sharing this (although I think he stole it from somewhere else), but here's the recipe.

How to cook Chorizo & Lentil 'Stew' 

Adorable. He even typed it up and printed it out for me, so it was super clear and I'd get his dinner right! That's love folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and taking the time to respond and share your thoughts on my writing.

Your comment will be posted shortly.

Cheers, RoseC