Thursday 28 November 2013

A new challenge

So, since my last post I've been thinking a lot about my "personal branding". I reckon one thing I need to be better at is put myself about more. At the moment, I think the number of publications I'm contributing to, especially online, is fairly limited. Considering how many different outlets there are I should be doing more and writing more for more of them. It's all about getting my name and face in as many places as possible. I've even recently had new head shots, so here's hoping that will help.

The challenge I want to try and under take is to get a feature in a different publication (online or print) every month. Don't want to go too extreme at the moment and set myself up for failure. I'm also going to update my blog every day. I had a friend do this a couple of years ago and although she sometimes found it tough to find inspiration, or the energy after doing a full day at work, she stuck to it. I'm hoping it will help me hone in on a few more ideas about being a freelancer, what I like about the career and how to be better at it. I think eventually I'd like this blog to be a useful resource to other young freelancers, plus it will give me a bit of a break from talking about sex all of the time.

Of course there might be a bit of a catch to this challenge: not every publication I approach, or write for may pay. Bit of a problem when you're only source of income is your writing. Needless to say I'll be taking a hit along the way. I just hope my accountant isn't reading this.

One of my uni lecturers said about freelancing: "you should never write for free." Now, in the thick of it and having been a freelancer for over a year I can see both sides of the coin. Plus, when that little nugget of wisdom was passed on to me and my class mates, the idea of e-zines, blogs and media on tablets was literally only just on the rise.

So, there we go, challenge set. Lets see how it all plays out...

RoseC -x-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and taking the time to respond and share your thoughts on my writing.

Your comment will be posted shortly.

Cheers, RoseC