Thursday 24 November 2011

Frazzled

It's been a frazzling, full on and frustrating sort of day. Sometimes working with young people can be really rewarding and make you think, 'shit yeah this is totally why I enjoy doing this job!' and then there are other times where you feel like you're literally smashing you head against a brick wall and would probably have more fun scooping your eyeballs out with a teaspoon rather than stand up in front of a class of unruly, hormonal teenagers to try and teach them the finer points of English grammar. Today was one of those mixed days...

For example the morning was pretty awesome. There was an overwhelming sense of satisfaction as a year 11 student managed to muddle his way through a presentation with only a maximum of five swear words.

Also, is it wrong to play drum and bass to year sevens? Like, it was nothing hardcore, or offensive, and they were doing posters. I mean it was so totally unoffensive that it was a remix of Adele and she's completely not offensive in anyway in her songs. I'd go so far as to gamble that she'd be a parents' favourite and there'd be nods of approval from parents that I was playing Adele in class, even a remix!

I've found it really useful to put music on in lessons. It works positively in many ways:
  1. The kids think they're getting a treat/reward for working well.
  2. It fills the horrible silence in my room that comes with only having a small group of three or four, so it maybe doesn't feel as intimidating or pressured for them.
  3. I get to control the music and so we only put on song we all agree are good, thus giving us an education in popular culture and good music as well as English.
Although I try to put on classical because it's good to talk over and soothing, the kids complained it's a bit depressing. Sing along pop songs are banned (too excitable) so remixes are the way forward because they're a bit more uplifting and you can't really sing along. Too many jumpy bits (not technical terms). Genius.

Unfortunately the rest of my day was pretty 'meh'. I may have said this before, but I'm sure working with pupils that are literally half my age - or younger in some cases - has aged me. There are some lessons where the whole hour feels like a battle; there's no winning, or loosing this battle, it's stalemate because you know you have a duty to do and no matter how shitty the kids get it's still your job to try and educate the little...argh...darlings.

I'm too young for stress like this - for bags under my eyes, that sick feeling in the morning wondering what's going to kick off next. Can't I still be so young that I cause stress to my parents? *Sigh*

RoseC
-x-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and taking the time to respond and share your thoughts on my writing.

Your comment will be posted shortly.

Cheers, RoseC