Thursday 16 June 2011

Singing in the rain

I sang my way home this evening. I don't often sing or hum out loud to myself (at least not that I notice), but on my way home from dinner with friends in London Bridge I found myself merrily walking down the street singing, but the songs that were popping into my head weren't ones I'd heard on the radio this morning, they were songs that I'd not heard or thought about for a very long time so I have know idea how or where I dug them out from in my memory.

It started off with a bit of metal in the form of Marilyn Manson's, The Nobodys and I've since put the Holywood album on for a spin this evening, which hasn't happened in a very long time. I should explain that I used to be a goth and if I had a photo to show you how funny I looked I would happily post it, but sadly they were all ritually burnt as soon as I grew out of it.

The tunes soon developed into Nirvana, Lithium - which I sang in it's entirety, out loud, getting quite enthusiastic on the "Yeahhh, Yeahhh, Yeahhh" bits - and then I somehow jumped into a full on 90s Brit Pop humming revival with Oasis, Talk Tonight and Half the World Away, before moving swiftly onto the Manic's and a Stereophonics medley of Mr Writer and Maybe Tomorrow because I couldn't remember all the lyrics to either of those songs so sort of just sang a bit of both.

I forgot how much I love the latter 'Phonics song purely because of the line "I've been the upper side of down, been the inside of out". Just think it's a really beautifully constructed lyric. I often pick my favourite songs purely because of one single line, for example Queens of the Stone Age's, Into the Fade, I love the line, "With nowhere to fall, Into the arms of someone". I just like how those particular lyrics stick.

Anyway, I digress. My musical mind went of on a tangent too and I ended up singing TLC No Scrubs. Still 90's, but not exactly the theme I was sticking to. I guess I can safely say my taste in music is eclectic! There's a reason though why my mind would wander to this song; when I was out on my second ever ski trip in Trois Vallees, French Alps, in year 9, another skiier crossed my path, sent me flying into the air and I sprained my knee. I had to be carried down in a blood wagon (massive fun) but then was taken to the local doctors, spoke hardly any French and was left lying in a room unable to move for over an hour in a foreign country not knowing what the fuck was going on. At 13 I was a bit, not scared, maybe more intimidated and worried?

Long and short of it was I sang TLC No Scrubs out loud, on repeat to calm myself down until one of my school teachers arrived. That song stuck maybe because it was in the charts at the time, but mostly because we were learning a dance routine to it at my local drama group so I'd heard it so many times I had it down word perfect.

My memory failed me somewhat today though and I could only remember the first verse and chorus. Clearly I'm getting rusty.

I love it though when songs you've not heard in years suddenly pop into your head again without rhyme or reason and the memories they jog, or not and you just have the satisfaction of going, "shit yeah that's an awesome tune and it's time to revive!" So on that note, here's a bit of 'Phonics Maybe Tomorrow (thought I'd spare you from Marilyn Manson this time!).

http://youtu.be/CaT86mk9gj8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and taking the time to respond and share your thoughts on my writing.

Your comment will be posted shortly.

Cheers, RoseC